[Gdal-dev] GDAL Utilities Documentation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 2 15:32:25 EST 2004

Jan Hartmann wrote:
> Perhaps I missed it in the documentation, but is it possible to
> georeference a raw image to an EPSG coordinate system, based on a text
> file with control points?

Jan,

The gdal_translate command does have the -gcp commandline switch for
adding GCPs to an image during translation.  Several of these, along with
the -a_srs switch should be sufficient to georeference an image using
GCPs.  Using the --optfile switch you could actually move the GCPs off to
a text file, but the format would still have to be the same.

eg.

gdal_translate -gcp 0 0 -33 44 -gcp 1000 1000 -32 43 -gcp 1000 0 -32 44 \
                -a_srs NAD83 raw.tif geo.tif

Wow, I tested it and it works!