[Gdal-dev] GDAL Utilities Documentation

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Apr 2 17:58:44 EST 2004

Matt Wilkie wrote:

> #  gdal-config - Get options required to build software using GDAL[[,]]
> against GDAL.

Fixed.

> #Creating New Files > -a_srs: the EPSG bullet paragraph is repeated

Fixed.

> #General Command Line Switchces
>
>  --optfile file:
>
> Not sure where in the document this should go, but it would nice if
> there were an example showing it's use, e.g.:

--optfile is described amoung the general options, but without an
example.  In my (not so humble) opinion the example would bulk things
up distractingly at this point in the document.

> gdal_info:
>   o. Raster size (in pixel[[s]] and lines).

Fixed.

> gdal_translate:
>  -srcwin xoff yoff xsize ysize:
>     Selects a subwindow from the source image for copying. [[Corners
> given in pixel coordinates.]]

Fixed.

> gdal_warp:
>  -wo "NAME=VALUE":
>     Set a [[lot]] of warp options....

Fixed

> Suggested Changes
> -----------------
>
> --help-general:
>
> Why be so specific? Better to use '--help' for general help. This is how
> most linux utilities seem to work.

This only reports help on the "general" options, the options shared amoung
all programs.  The --help is intended to return the generic usage message
for the program.

> --format format-name
>
> Might make more sense to use '--help format-name' instead.

I would prefer not to.

> gdal_warp:
>  -rn, -rb, -rc, -rcs:
>
> Better to harmonize with with gdaladdo -r {nearest,average,...}

Unfortunately, I don't have the anything like the same set of options so
they aren't likely to ever be too similar.  I could change them to use
a more consistent approach but it would add little value for the disruption
at this point.

Thanks for the feedback!