[Gdal-dev] NOAA-16 AVHRR

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Sat Apr 17 16:59:38 EDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 11:34:39PM +0400, Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 05:48:22PM +0000, Mahesh Chittur wrote:
> > I haven't used much of gdal. I have this NOAA 16 AVHRR dataset. Is it
> > possible to read this data using gdal from GRASS; or is there any
> > other program thats can read NOAA-16 AVHRR data ( Unix version of the
> > program).
>
> Yes, it should be possible (L1B driver). If you will have problems
> reading NOAA AVHRR, please, report them here.
>
> 					Andrey

While import works well, the geocoding (use of the supplied GCPs)
is a problem: GRASS and gdalwarp are using basically the same
algorithm which leads to shifts of >25km at the "ends" of an
AVHRR stripe. As far as I know, only a geocoding algorithm
based on local splines will solve the problem accurately.

Is there anyone who could provide an algorithm for inclusion
into gdalwarp? :-)

Markus