[Gdal-dev] Re: gdal and libgrass

Steve Halasz debian at adkgis.org
Mon Aug 9 14:38:19 EDT 2004

Silke,

I just joined this mailing list because I saw this thread on the web.
I'm the debian maintainer of qgis, which depends on gdal. I've been
trying to get qgis's grass plugins into debian for a while. They depend
on Radim's patches for gdal, which depend on grass 5.7. I believe I am
within a week of having a suitable grass5.7 package. Hopefully Jochen
will sponsor it for me.

I also have used your gdal package as a starting point for successfully
building a version with Radim's grass patches included. I aim to provide
you with those changes when the grass package is ready. Right now
they're a little broken because I'm in the middle of things.

There is also a potential problem with circular dependencies since
grass5.7 depends on gdal and now gdal will depend on grass5.7. So far
I've been able to build in spite of this by starting with current
version of gdal, building grass5.7, and then building the new version of
gdal depending on grass5.7. But I wonder what potential there is for
trouble with this down the road.

It would be cool if this could all get into the next release. But I
suspect that most debian gis users are running testing/unstable anyway.

Thanks for packaging gdal and I'm psyched that you're keen to include
grass support.

Steve Halasz