[Gdal-dev] S57 driver: the second import

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 16:58:21 EDT 2004

Tore Halset wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2004, at 19:39, Tore Halset wrote:
>
>> On Aug 19, 2004, at 12:25, Tore Halset wrote:
>>
>>> Is it possible to run ogr2ogr multiple times to import different s-57
>>> data cells into postgis?
>>

>> Using both "-update" and "-lco OVERWRITE=YES" seem to fix the problem.
>> I also upgraded gdal from version 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.
>

> Wrong!
>
> -append -lco OVERWRITE=YES. Does not work if the cell has a layer that
> does not exist in the database.
>
> -update -lco OVERWRITE=YES does update features in the database with
> features in the new cell. An import of a cell with some LNDARE will
> work, but some of the old LNDARE in the base disapears. Perhaps
> DSID-DSNM should have been included in the where-part of the query?

Tore,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I gather you want to load several S-57 dataset into a set of tables in
PostGIS, is that right?  So, for instance, to append all the features of
a given type from the difference files into one table (ie. all ADMARE
features into one admare table).

This should be achievable ... in general by doing something like:

  ogr2ogr -skipfailures -update PG:<connectinfo> ABC.000 ADMARE

and then adding -append to append to the existing table for subsequent
calls:

  ogr2ogr -skipfailures -update -append PG:<connectinfo> DEF.000 ADMAREA

Doing it on all features classes at once may cause problems if different
.000 files have differing sets of features classes, as I think you have
experienced.  There isn't a smooth way of handling this within ogr2ogr
except for doing things one feature classes at a time manually.  You could
of course write a python script to smooth this out and it might be worth it
if you want all features classes and to process alot of files.