[Gdal-dev] HDF Georeference

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Dec 3 11:59:14 EST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 01:41:53AM +0000, Carl Anderson wrote:
> On 12/02/2004 07:16:01 AM, wlx wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >     In the hdf4 format
> >homepage(http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/frmt_hdf4.html),it is
> >sayed
> >that
> >gdal can support ASTER L1B data's georeference.
> >    When I use gdal_translate utility to translate a ASTER's
> >subdataset to a
> >geotiff file,I find the geotiff file include nothing about
> >georefence.
> >

> I do know that the HDF driver has been redone and works differently
> in recent GDAL versions
>
> the old driver was
>   HDF4_SDS:ASTER_L1B:
>

> checking with gdalinfo recent GDAL version
>   HDF4_EOS:EOS_SWATH:
> is the driver for ASTER L1B file

... Frank, Andrey: a related wish.

If possible, please (maybe not possible) have support for
both drivers. the old driver could stay in hdfold/ or whatever
and configure come with a switch.

Currently it is rather inconvenient to retrieve the old
driver from gdal-1.2.0b, remove the new one (which get's
overwritten then with the next 'cvs up -dP') and
install it.

Maybe the new driver will be complete as Chrismas present :-)
but above solution might be a viable interim's solution.

Best regards

 Markus