[Gdal-dev] JPEG2000

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Wed Dec 8 16:28:15 EST 2004

Have a look at the output of:

# gdalinfo --format JP2KAK

and cross-reference it against:

http://www.kakadusoftware.com/Usage_Examples.txt

I don't know about your motivation for converting - however, I found
that creating lossy files at about 1/10 the size of a GeoTiff were
visually identical. I used the following options to gdal_convert to get
this sort of output:

-co 'Clayers=20'
-co 'Clevels=8'
-co 'Corder=RPCL'
-co 'Cprecincts={256,256},{256,256},{128,128}'
-co 'ORGgen_plt=yes'
-co 'Creversible=no'
-co 'quality=10'

Note that decompression is very fast for a single user - however, I
tried to build a multi-user mapserver using jp2k files and it just
wasn't viable for me.

Good luck with it.

Chris