[Gdal-dev] Linux port problem

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Wed Dec 22 10:23:03 EST 2004

I am having problems porting my (working) Windows based application to
Linux.  It is most likely something I am doing wrong in the Makefile.

Right up front I will admit I am very rusty on Linux.  It has been
several years since I have used it regularly and then I explicitly
linked dot a files rather than dot so files.

I first tried to build GDAL from the current tarball and did get
libraries out of it but it kept looking for SQL files so I downloaded
the FWTools-linux-0.9.4.tar.gz file.  I do not have root access to the
system so I unpacked the tar file and put all of the files from the lib
directory in a directory in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I have libgdal.so in my makefile library path but I get several link
(undefined reference) errors on various GDAL and OGR member functions
such as GDALRasterBand::GetRasterDataType and OGRPoint::OGRPoint.  I
believe the linker is finding the library ok because if I take
libgdal.so out of the make file I get eve more errors such as GDALOpen.

As I recall we used to have to run ranlib on dot a files when they did
this kind of thing but that doesn't apply to dot so files does it?
Besides that since I am using the precompiled libraries it seems like
they should already be up to date.

I know this is likely some dumb thing I am not doing but I don't see
what.

Bruce