[Gdal-dev] max number of simplesources in vrt rasterband?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 3 12:28:50 EST 2004

Vincent Schut wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have a vrt file with approx. 1800 simplesource items (SRTM tiles). Gdal
> always gives an error (with gdalinfo, gdal_translate, ...) for the 1020th
> file in the vrt file. If I try to open this individual raster file with gdal,
> everything goes fine. If I change the order of the simplesources, the error
> still comes at the 1020th simplesource (which is another raster file then) So
> I suspect there is a maximum at the number of simplesources that can be
> defined in one vrt file?
> If so, is it possible to enlarge this number?

Vincent,

The limit is on the number of open files on your system I would imagine.
Depending on what operating system you are working on you may be able to
increase the limit.  But the underlying solution would be to have the VRT
code know to only open necessary datasets to satisfy a request, or perhaps
to close and open datasets as needed to keep under some provided file handle
limit.  I don't see that happening immediately though.