R: [Gdal-dev] trivial (?) optimization for gdal.i:GDALReadRaster( )

Alessandro Amici alexamici at fastwebnet.it
Thu Feb 5 10:20:10 EST 2004

Norman,

On Thursday 05 February 2004 15:16, Norman Vine wrote:
> Alessandro Amici wrote:
> > > if you want to help testing you may try out the attached patch, just
> > > define the environment variable GDAL_PYTHON_NUMARRAY to anything and
> > > you get numarray support :).
>
> Please note that while Numary is optimized for large vectors it is *much*
> slower < order of magnitude or so >  with small vectors.  Which may or may
> not be of consequence depending on your usage.

well, gdal rasters tend to be 'large vectors' anyhow ;)

BTW, i know numarray had problems in the past, but i read quite some time ago
that performance on small arrays was getting better. how recent is your info?

> This suggests that which version of the Numeric Python extension is linked
> should probably remain a configurable option

with a bit of luck and planning we can even keep it a run-time option (as it
is in my patch).

cheers,
alessandro