R: [Gdal-dev] trivial (?) optimization for gdal.i:GDALReadRaster( )

Alessandro Amici alexamici at fastwebnet.it
Thu Feb 5 10:28:33 EST 2004

Frank,

> I must say I haven't dug into numarray too much.  My main concern is
> backward compatibility with existing applications built on the numpy
> interface and whether or not numarray is fairly well settled.  Is numarray
> likely to (or already is?) be distributed in standard python distributions?

last info i had is: 'nummarray may end up into the standard dist' as opposite
to 'Numeric will never ever be considered'.

>   Does the gdal/pymod/numpydataset.cpp code need to be rewritten for
> numarray?

not sure, numarray has an Numeric emulation layer for external modules,
chances are that it will be trivail.

BTW, what is the use of the numpy dataset anyhow? it doesn't appear in the
gdalinfo list of supported formats and i didn't see it being used anywhere
inside the python module... ??

cheers,
alessandro