[Gdal-dev] OGR, SHP, and multi-polygons

Ben Discoe ben at vterrain.org
Thu Feb 5 21:18:48 EST 2004

> From: Frank Warmerdam
>
> Patches were introduced in the fall some
> time to try and classify rings properly and form correct
> multi-polygons when reading from Shapefiles.
> This did not exist in GDAL 1.1.9 so you will need
> a nightly snapshot.

OK, does that mean it now does the following?
 1. For each polygon 'part', tests the winding order to determine if it's
external or internal
 2. If more than one external part is found, a OGRMultiPolygon is created,
otherwise a OGRPolygon.
 3. As it can't know in advance, the layer reports geometry type as
"Polygon", even if there might be MultiPolygons inside.

Some related questions:
  Is 'wkbPoint25D' the OGR equivalent of SHPT_POINTZ, or does OGR just use
wkbPoint with 3 coordinates instead of 2?
  Is there another GDAL release planned?  My 1.1.9 is dated 2003-06-27, 7
months ago.

Thanks,
Ben