[Gdal-dev] Please suggest a vector format for wireless application

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Feb 9 17:40:27 EST 2004

> I wanna build it on mobile phone, for example, NOKIA S40 series
> which only permit 64K program size for a J2ME size. We have to do
> reading and rendering in this little program, so unzip and xml
> parser will waste too much space.
> A compact binary gis format is what i need I think. Is there a
> format already exist in the world meet my requirement? or I have to
> create one myself?

I'd just used a basic comma delimited format.  Depending on the size and
type of data you are transmitting, I assume this would be smallest.  If
you are using j2me, perhaps there is a java specific data type that you
could use instead of basic text.  I'm not familiar with the inner workings
of j2me, but I've seen other languages that use XML to encoded and
transmit objects (i.e. XML-RPC).  If you could have j2me receive such
transmissions, that'd be the way I'd go.