[Gdal-dev] ogr virtual data issues with connecting to excel

Kralidis,Tom [Burlington] Tom.Kralidis at ec.gc.ca
Mon Feb 16 07:22:57 EST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to an excel document using this approach, but am
having problems doing so.

I have created a system DSN

Here is my .ovf file:

<OGRVRTDataSource>
	<OGRVRTLayer name="plantwatch">
		<SrcDataSource>ODBC:plantwatch2,plantwatch</SrcDataSource>
		<SrcLayer>plantwatch</SrcLayer>
		<GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
		<LayerSRS>WGS84</LayerSRS>
		<GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="longitude"
y="latitude"/>
	</OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

When I test with ogrinfo, I get:

C:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin\ms_odbc>.\ogrinfo.exe
\ms4w\mapserv\services\naturewatch\plantwatch2.ovf
ERROR 4: Update access not supported for VRT datasources.
ERROR 1: Unable to identify source X or Y field for PointFromColumns
encoding.
FAILURE:

Any suggestions?  The x and y attributes exist as columns in my excel file.
As a workaround, when I converted the excel file to an access database, it
worked.

I can post the excel document on request.

Thanks

..Tom

Tom Kralidis
Systems Scientist