[Gdal-dev] Radical OGR Update

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Thu Feb 19 14:06:21 EST 2004

Sorry for jumping this late in the conversation...

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I am suffering from a growing compulsion to make a substantial update to OGR
> before a GDAL 1.2.0 release.  In particular I would like to make some movement
> to unifying GDAL and OGR in the following ways:
>
>  o Merge the driver architectures of GDAL and OGR, so there is one driver
>    registry, and a call to GDALOpen() can be used to open raster and vector
>    datasets.

Um... sounds like history is repeating itself.  ;)

I'm not sure if I like the idea or not... but since everyone else seems
to like it then I guess I'll wait and see.

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Alessandro Amici wrote:
>  > argh!
>  >
>  > what about a rapid 1.2.0 (with it's own cvs branch for fixes) and
> then start a
>  > big restructure marked 2.0.0?
>
> Andrey Kiselev wrote:
>  > Those changes will take a time for implementing and especially for
>  > testing. What about releasing GDAL 1.1.10 shortly?
>
> Ben Discoe wrote:
>  > I'd like to second that motion.  The best chance for making 1.2.0 a
> 'stable'
>  > release is to put it out _before_ major changes.  Once the big changes
>  > occur, we'll need to wait for a long time for broken things to be
> found and
>  > resolved, before we can call it 'stable'.
>
> Markus Neteler wrote:
>  > Frank, please make a release before changing the API.

Count me in for a 1.2.0 release before this change.

I also think that the next release with that restructuring should be 2.0
and not 1.3.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca