[Gdal-dev] OT: MrSID vs JPEG2000

Tyler Mitchell TMitchell at lignum.com
Mon Feb 23 14:43:58 EST 2004

> My perception is that MrSID and JPEG2000 offer similar features for the
> geospatial marketplace.  The MrSID format and tools are likely more
mature at
> this point, but we can hope that JPEG2000 will benefit from this as
JPEG2000
> support is incorporated into the LizardTech tool chain.   And of course,
lots
> of other sources of software exist for JPEG2000.

Thanks, all I had known was that I was getting confused with the various
JPEG2000 libraries.  I had no clear sense of what was freely available and
what the tradeoffs were.

> I am not sure in what regard you haven't been satisfied by MrSID.
> My perception is that the technology is good, but that the LizardTech
corporate lock on the
> technology, and their licensing requirements make me nervous about the
format
> - especially for long term purposes.

Arg. I meant to the keep my comment neutral and to focus on learning more
about JPEG2000.  Please allow me to retract my comment about my
dissatisfactions, they are quite irrelevant.  In the end we've chosen ECW
over MrSID for our internal image format since our main image management
contractor already own ER Mapper.

Thanks for the info and pointers, folks.

Tyler