[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2

Ben Discoe ben at vterrain.org
Fri Feb 27 02:42:03 EST 2004

Tim,

See the recent thread, "OGR, SHP, and multi-polygons" where this was
discussed..

To summarize, OGR will report that particular kind of file as type
OGRPolygon, but the geometries inside it are actually (some of them)
OGRMultiPolygon.  So you need to check the type of each geometry as you read
the file with OGR.  Making an assumption that they're all OGRPolygon would
result in exactly the picture you posted.

(This assumes, of course, that the MultiPolygon-detection code in GDAL is
working - and Frank said it is...)

-Ben