[Gdal-dev] Conversion formula

Daniel McAferty dmcaferty at seeop.net
Wed Jan 7 09:42:03 EST 2004

I had the same question a few weeks ago. It is a lot tougher than I thought
but I got things to work.
Here are some web sites that helped me get the info I was looking for.
http://www.gpsy.com/gpsinfo/geotoutm/
    This is good starting place as it has many links to places that has info

http://www.posc.org/Epicentre.2_2/DataModel/ExamplesofUsage/eu_cs34.html
    This is a paper that explains some of the different datums and the math
formulas
    to convert from Lat/long to UTM and back. It also has a link to an
example to convert from
    lat/long to UTM. It only goes the one direction. But I found the souce
code of that html example
    helpful in my own programs.

I also found some helpful code examples on
http://www2.ifjf.uib.no/latlong2UTM/

good luck,
Dan