[Gdal-dev] read RLE BIL with GDAL?

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Mon Jan 12 10:55:38 EST 2004

Frank Warmerdam writes:

> RLE stands for "Run length encoded".  There are a variety of approches to
> run length encoding including stuff like the packbits compression in
> TIFF.  Do you know if the SGI RLE format used the same exact format as
> the RLE supported by ArcGIS?

Frank

I don't know what ArcGIS uses but we have a SGI image reader in Plib
that is quite straight forward and appears to be robust

This is used to load texture into OpenGL but that part should be obvious
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/plib/plib/src/ssg/ssgLoadSGI.cxx?rev=1.16

There is < use to be at least > some 'C' code in the Glut Mesa Demos
image.c image.h that this is adapted from

HTH

Norman