[Gdal-dev] share the common edge of nearby polygon?

Fu Chen chen at yinyue123.com
Sun Jan 25 04:29:23 EST 2004

Hi!

I try to use Douglas-Peucker approximation algorithm to simplify the
polygon in the GIS datasets. But it won't be useful on the common shp
file for by ogr it get the points of the whole polygon. I can't know
where is the common edge of nearby polygon. If use DP algorithm on every
polygon itself, the common edge will not fit together.I need to put DP
algorithm on the common edge seperately.

So I hope the dataset of GIS should have the information of the common
edge, and the polygon built by refering to common edges. This will save
the store space (will not store the same point twice) and be easy to
simply the line.

any GIS format take this design? Any software to translate shp file to
that format?

Thank you!