[Gdal-dev] can't read ASTER HDF-EOS files...

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 30 17:09:57 EST 2004

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:
> I've built gdal-1.1.9 under cygwin (for use within GRASS) and haven't been
> able to read ASTER L1B files (in HDF-EOS format) using any of the tools like
> gdalinfo.
>
> These are the supported file formats from my builod:
>
> hamannj at rodan ~/gdal-1.1.9
> $ gdalinfo --formats
> Supported Formats:
>   VRT: Virtual Raster
>   GTiff: GeoTIFF
>   NITF: National Imagery Transmission Format
>   HFA: Erdas Imagine Images (.img)
>   SAR_CEOS: CEOS SAR Image
>   CEOS: CEOS Image
>   ELAS: ELAS
>   AIG: Arc/Info Binary Grid
>   AAIGrid: Arc/Info ASCII Grid
>   SDTS: SDTS Raster
>   DTED: DTED Elevation Raster
>   PNG: Portable Network Graphics
>   JPEG: JPEG JFIF
>   MEM: In Memory Raster
>   JDEM: Japanese DEM (.mem)
>   GIF: Graphics Interchange Format (.gif)
>   ESAT: Envisat Image Format
>   BSB: Maptech BSB Nautical Charts
>   XPM: X11 PixMap Format
>   BMP: MS Windows Device Independent Bitmap
>   PNM: Portable Pixmap Format (netpbm)
>   DOQ1: USGS DOQ (Old Style)
>   DOQ2: USGS DOQ (New Style)
>   ENVI: ENVI .hdr Labelled
>   EHdr: ESRI .hdr Labelled
>   PAux: PCI .aux Labelled
>   MFF: Atlantis MFF Raster
>   MFF2: Atlantis MFF2 (HKV) Raster
>   FujiBAS: Fuji BAS Scanner Image
>   GSC: GSC Geogrid
>   FAST: EOSAT FAST Format
>   L1B: NOAA Polar Orbiter Level 1b Data Set
>   FIT: FIT Image
>   USGSDEM: USGS Optional ASCII DEM
>   GXF: GeoSoft Grid Exchange Format
>
> I've tried renaming the image I want to import to no avail.

Jeff,

You haven't built GDAL with HDF support.  If you look through the above
format list, you will note it is missing.  When configuring you need to
use the --with-hdf4 command switch to point to your hdf libraries.  I don't
know if this build arrangement has ever been tried under cygwin before.
Using the hdf libraries can be tricky.