[Gdal-dev] tiled images into a jp2

Fu Chen chen at yinyue123.com
Sat Jan 31 22:38:59 EST 2004

Frank,
I tried to use vrt to wrap all those tiled tiffs into a virtual dataset.
and use gdal_translate to translate the vrt file into a jp2.
But maybe this dataset is too large(105G, dimension 200K*200K), the
progress is very slow, and become much more slower. For example, the
first 5% will take an hour, but the same 5% between 35%-40% will take
one day.
The kakadu's author dont recommend to use tiled jp2, for in this way we
will find artifacts besides the border of two tile. But will tiled style
speed the compress and upcompress process of the large dataset?