[Gdal-dev] Compiling ogr/gdal on win32 using MingW

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Wed Jul 14 11:18:38 EDT 2004

Woon Wei Lee writes:

> Sorry, feeling really ignorant here but I don't quite get what u mean by running
> ./configure on windows... afaik configure is a bourne shell script so it won't work on
> windows (unless I use cygwin, but I'm really trying to avoid that - would rather use
> mingw if possible) ... I hope I'm missing something really obvious here...  :-(

http://mingw.org/msys.shtml

or do as I do and install a MingW tree inside of Cygwin

i.e.  I have established my MingW root at /usr/mingw
and install mingw files under it

then  # mingw make doesn't understand Unix filenames
% cp /bin/make.exe to /usr/mingw/bin

and when I configure a MingW build I use

./configure --prefix=/usr/mingw --host=mingw32

note

$ gdal-config --libs
-L/usr/mingw/lib -lgdal

$ gdal-config --prefix