[Gdal-dev] Calling GDAL functions in IDL

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 14 15:37:17 EDT 2004

Gagan Tandon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to Norman and Frank for their response.
>
> I read in the IDL user manual on how to call external functions. It says
> that if the external library is packaged as a DLL then one can register
> the DLL (using regsvr32) and wrap the COM object into an IDL object and
> use it from there. I thought gdal11.dll was the one I should be looking
> for. I tried registering the DLL, it threw an error that No
> DLLRegistryServer entry point found, Registration failed.  I guess I am
> using the wrong DLL or there is some other kind of library that allows
> me access to all the GDAL methods.  I would appreciate if somebody could
> provide leads on this.
>
> I am using windows XP, IDL 6.0. I do not wish to use
> python/numarray/numeric etc. I want to build the software that is python
> independent. Do I need to build the GDAL again? (since I am using the
> GDAL that was built "with" python support)

Gagan,

GDAL does not provide a COM interface in it's DLL, so there is no support
for registering it.  However, if IDL provided a means to call out to
C functions in a DLL (many scripting environments have ways of doing this
- vb does for instance) then you might be able to accomplish what you
want from IDL.  Alternatively, you could prepare a small COM wrapper for
the services you need and utilize that, but COM isn't my speciality.

Good luck,