[Gdal-dev] OCI driver and views

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jul 15 10:22:19 EDT 2004

Nicol Hermann wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> i was wondering about the behaviour of the OGR/OCI driver. May be
> someone can shed any light on that.
>
> When i do a:
> ogrinfo OCI:<user>/<pass>@oracle -so -sql 'select * from water'
>
> I get back the summary of the table 'water' but i also get back error
> messages form some objects
>
> e.g.
> ERROR 1: ORA-04043: Objekt VW_STAND ist nicht vorhanden
> in OCIDescribeAny
>
> I assume that the OCI driver could not handle views because all the
> objects identified as errors are views which are registered in the
> sdo_geom_metadata_table. Is that true?
> How can i avoid the error messages in the output which refers to tables
> i am not interested in?
>
> I'am using gdal 1.2.0 on a debian 3.0r2 box.

Nicol,

A few options come to mind:
  o Use an explicit list of tables you are interested in when you open the
    database.  Only those tables will be queried so there won't be any extra
    noise like you are seeing.
  o Modify the current error message to be a debug statement.
  o Modify the code to support getting a description of views.

Hmm, looking through the code briefly, it doesn't seem that the oracle
driver currently supports passing in a table list to use as layers, so the
first option is out for now.

I have a mounting list of Oracle issues to look into.  I will see if I can
do something about this.