[Gdal-dev] gdal/python

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 19 22:43:25 EDT 2004

Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've been trying to build Gdal 1.2.1 on Linux and I'm an absolute beginner.
> I'm having problems with Python. Though I've installed plenty of Python
> stuff which I think Gdal may require the Python part still fails in
> configure. What Python bits are needed to build Gdal with Python actually?
>
> I'm configuring this way:
>
> CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/python2.3/Numeric -I/usr/include/mpatrol"
> CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -Wall" CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -O3 -Wall"
> ./configure
>
> And in the config.log I get:
>
> (...)
> configure:24160: checking for python
> configure:24176: found /usr/bin/python
> configure:24186: result: python
> configure:24202: checking where python Makefiles are
> configure:24217: result: found
> configure:24221: checking Python makefile
> configure:24228: result: missing, python disabled.
> configure:24335: checking for NumPy include files
> configure:24345: result: missing
> (...)
> PYTHON='no'
> PYTHON_CC=''
> PYTHON_CFLAGS=''
> PYTHON_INCLUDES=''
> PYTHON_LIBS=''
> PYTHON_LINK=''
> PYTHON_OPT=''
> PYTHON_SO=''
> (...)
> pyexecdir='/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages'
> pymoddir=''
> pythondir='/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages'
> (...)

Maciek,

I don't know what is up with the python configuration.  I gather you
have some sort of non-standard python installation?  Do you have a
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile file?  The python config code tries
to find this to extract various build options from.

> Can somebody tell me BTW what options to pass to configure to optimise the
> Fortran code (there is some in Gdal, right?)? I can't make it out of the g77
> info and man, as for an amateur the gcc man is much more understandable I
> think.

There is no FORTRAN code in GDAL.  I haven't even had many requests to
build FORTRAN interfaces to GDAL.