[Gdal-dev] Question about gdal and ENVI.

Ken Sewell sewell at dramail.com
Tue Jul 27 17:14:42 EDT 2004

I'm trying to use gdal to translate imagery generated by ENVI 4.0, but I'm
encountering some issues I don't quite understand.  First if I run
gdalinfo on my envi file, it says the Cordinate system is:
LOCAL_CS["Geographic Lat/Lon",
    UNIT["Meter",1]]

If I use envi to save it as a geotiff then the Cordinate system is:
GEOGCS["WGS 84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",

>From what I found on the mailing lists LOCAL_CS basically means GDAL
doesn't understand the projection, is this correct?

Does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks.

Ken Sewell                   Defense Research Associates
Project Engineer             3915 Germany Lane, Suite 102
937-431-1644                 Beavercreek, Ohio 45431-1608
sewell at dramail.com