[Gdal-dev] processing SRTM-3?

jluis at ualg.pt jluis at ualg.pt
Thu Jul 29 13:48:35 EDT 2004

Quoting Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com>:

> Joaquim Luis wrote:
> >> but now I only get
> >
> > Driver: EHdr/ESRI .hdr Labelled
> > Size is 1201, 1201
> > Coordinate System is `'                                <=================
> (empty)
> > Origin = (-9.000417,38.000417)
>
> Joaquim,
>
> Do you have a corresponding .prj file?  The ESRI HDR driver just looks
> for a .prj file and ingests it.  If you still have a .prj file and don't
> get GEOGCS[] stuff then there is a bug.  If you never had one but still
> got GEOGCS[] stuff before then something really funky was going on.
> Please include the .prj file.

Frank
I'm afraid that the cases I'm testing cover both situations.
I have .prj file for the file N37W008.hgt, which has
GEOGCS["wgs84",
    DATUM["WGS_1984",
        SPHEROID["wgs84",6378137,298.257223563],
        TOWGS84[0.000000,0.000000,0.000000]],
    PRIMEM["Greenwich",0],
    UNIT["degree",0.0174532925199433]]

However, for an other srtm file I don't have the .prj
In both cases I don't get the GEOGCS[] stuff

BTW, I was on the way to search what a .prj file must contain.
Can you point me to a place where I can study it?

best regars

Joaquim