[Gdal-dev] GDAL creates (Erdas) img files which cannot be read by Erdas Imagine

Andreas Wimmer andreas.wimmer at joanneum.at
Mon Jun 7 04:20:00 EDT 2004

We have started to use GDAL to support reading/writing
Erdas img files for our in-house Image processing library

So far everything worked fine, we are able to produce
img-files for 8, 16, 32 Bit integers as well as float
and double.
The files can be read and written by our software without
any problem, unfortunately any 32 Bit integer file
leads to a crash when we try to view it with the Erdas
native software Erdas imagine. Since we implemented
the img format for easy data transfer to/from erdas this
is a serious problem for us.
On closer inspection I didn´t find any reason why these files
could not be read by erdas. I experimented a little bit
and found the situation even more confusing when I tried to
produce img files with 256 Pixels Block-size.
In this case only the 8Bit version could be processed by Erdas
imagine. The 32Bit files produced an "Out of memory" error,
the 16 Bit, float and double files lead to an incorrect display
(only 16 lines of any Block are displayed)
I have no idea why this happens and I know definitly that erdas
imagine is capable of processing such files, since it works
properly when such files ( 16, 32Bit, float and double) are
produced by erdas itself.
Unfortunatly I found no significant difference between our output
and erdas output (using hfatest, and even with a hex-editor)

I hope sombody can help me

Best regards,
Andreas

--