[Gdal-dev] hdf4, hdf-eos and gcc 3.4 issues

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Wed Jun 23 03:31:33 EDT 2004

My previous messages about this probably disappeared somewhere between
servers, that's why resending...

GDAL-cvs doesn't build for me since a couple of days, and I think the
combination of using hdf-eos and my compiler: gcc3.4, could be the cause.

So far I found out:

- the include of HdfEosDef.h from hdf4dataset.cpp doesn't work, because gcc
can't find it. After changing the compile line to include '-I./hdf-eos', this
was solved. I however don't know the appropriate place to add this
(GNUmakefile?).

- gcc complains about not finding includes if they are between <> when they
should be between "". This is the case for <ease.h> from HdfEosDef.h, and for
<HDFEOSVersion.h> from EHapi.c.

- after these changes, I get the following error which is beyond my knowledge:

vincent at timo hdf-eos $ make
/bin/sh ../../../libtool --mode=compile gcc -Wall  -O2 -DCPL_MULTIPROC_PTHREAD
-I../../../port -I/usr/include   -c -o EHapi.o EHapi.c
 gcc -Wall -O2 -DCPL_MULTIPROC_PTHREAD -I../../../port -I/usr/include -c
EHapi.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/EHapi.o
In file included from EHapi.c:35:
HDFEOSVersion.h:16:1: pasting ""@(#)## HDFEOS Version: "" and "HDFEOSVERSION1"
does not give a valid preprocessing token
HDFEOSVersion.h:17:1: pasting ""@(#)## Build date: "" and "__DATE__" does not
give a valid preprocessing token
HDFEOSVersion.h:17:1: pasting "__DATE__" and "" @ "" does not give a valid
preprocessing token
HDFEOSVersion.h:17:1: pasting "" @ "" and "__TIME__" does not give a valid
preprocessing token
EHapi.c: In function `EHopen':
EHapi.c:254: warning: implicit declaration of function `sleep'
EHapi.c: In function `ehidinfo':
EHapi.c:592: warning: passing arg 2 of `EHidinfo' from incompatible pointer
type
EHapi.c:592: warning: passing arg 3 of `EHidinfo' from incompatible pointer
type
EHapi.c: In function `EHopen':
EHapi.c:104: warning: 'fid' might be used uninitialized in this function
EHapi.c: In function `EHconvAng':
EHapi.c:767: warning: 'outAngle' might be used uninitialized in this function
EHapi.c: At top level:
cfortHdf.h:283: warning: 'c2fstrv' defined but not used
cfortHdf.h:299: warning: 'f2cstrv' defined but not used
cfortHdf.h:346: warning: 'vkill_trailing' defined but not used
cfortHdf.h:393: warning: 'num_elem' defined but not used
cfortHdf.h:443: warning: '__cfztringv' defined but not used
make: *** [EHapi.o] Error 1

I think the lines from HDFEOSVersion.h generate the real errors, the other
ones seem just warnings.
As I said, I'm stuck here.