[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.1 Released

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jun 24 10:04:35 EDT 2004

Folks,

I have prepared a preliminary GDAL 1.2.1 snapshot.  It is available at:

   http://dl2.maptools.org/gdal/gdal-1.2.1.tar.gz
   http://dl2.maptools.org/gdal/gdal121.zip

or

   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal-1.2.1.tar.gz
   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal121.zip

I would add that the GDAL daily snapshots are being generated again, and they
are now found on http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/daily instead of on the
ftp site.  The remotesensing.org bandwidth is fairly limited so please don't
setup any scripts to download it daily just in case you want it or anything like
that.

This release does not include my work on OGR integration with GEOS.  That will
be in GDAL 1.2.2, hopefully in a month or two.

Please let me know if you run into any showstopper problems with this release
and I will reissue it.

NEWS file entries are below.

GDAL 1.2.1 - Overview of Changes
--------------------------------

gdal_contour:
     - Now build and installed by default.

HDF4 Driver:
     - Added some degree of HDF-EOS support.  HDFEOS layer now part of GDAL.

DODS Driver:
     - Substantial fixes, support for flipped datasets.

HFA (Erdas Imagine) Driver:
     - Fixed bug with files between 2 and 4GB.
     - Capture statistics as metadata.

Erdas 7.x LAN/GIS Driver:
     - Newly implemented.

USGS DEM Driver:
     - Various fixes to creation support / CDED product.

NITF Driver:
     - Capture USE001 and STDIDC TREs as metadata.
     - Capture all sorts of header information as metadata.
     - Support geocentric corner coordinate specification.

MrSID Driver:
     - Support added for DSDK 4.0.x.

ECW Driver:
     - Added preliminary support for using 3.0 SDK for JPEG2000 support.
     - Fix oversampling assertion problem.

ArcInfo Binary Grids:
     - Added support for 0x01 and 0x20 block type.

OGR 1.2.1 - Overview of Changes
-------------------------------

OGRSpatialReference:
     - Various fixes related to prime meridians.

PostgreSQL/PostGIS Driver:
     - Added layer name laundering.
     - Launder names on by default.
     - Clean stale entries in geometry_columns table when creating a layer.
     - Support treating names views as layers.
     - Handle long command strings.

S57 Driver:
     - Fixed serious bugs with support for auto-applying update files.
     - Improvements to S57 writing support.