[Gdal-dev] goode homolosine projection

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.com
Thu Mar 11 02:56:38 EST 2004

Manuel, Frank,

I just want to say thank you, this is what I have been waiting for :-)
Till now I tried reprojecting modis datasets from goode's homolosine by
cutting the image into pieces which I seperately reprojected using either a
sinusoidal or a mollweide projection, using the parameters from
http://gis.esri.com/library/userconf/proc98/PROCEED/TO850/PAP844/P844.HTM.
This patch will make my life easier...

One question though, because you mention reprojecting modis datasets. I read
somewhere on the proj mailinglist
(http://remotesensing.org/lists/proj_archive/msg03772.html) that for
reprojecting from different ellipses (sphere -> WGS84), one needs to specify
the '+towgs84=0,0,0' parameter too. Do you know it this is correct and still
necessary? I think the correct phrase to reproject modis from goode's
homolosine (sphere) to longlat WGS84 then will be something like:

gdalwarp <input> -s_srs '+proj=goode +ellps=sphere +towgs84=0,0,0 +lon_0=100w
+x_0=-11119487.43'  <output options>

Needless to say I hope this patch will be in cvs soon... But I'll apply the
patch locally and test it a bit on my modis data of Indonesia, and keep you
informed on the results (no news is good news is an applicable dutch saying
here).

Regards,
Vincent Schut.