[Gdal-dev] GDAL fails when I try to open a large number of files.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 16 16:52:41 EST 2004

John Hayes wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I'm trying to mosaic +1500 TIFF files and GDAL fails to open the 1414
 > file.  I'm using my own mosaiking code that opens all the files first and keeps
 >around the GDALDataset objects.  It looks like it is running out of file handles.
 >I would prefer not to create and delete a GDALDataset object for each strip of
 >the image I read.
>
> Is there a way to control if the file handle is left open between read calls?

John,

Currently the GeoTIFF driver does not open and close files dynamically.  If
you are on Unix or Linux I would suggest you look into the limit or ulimit
commands to control the maximum number of open files supported in a session.
It can usually be increased.

If that fails, you will need to find some other approach to managing the number
of open files yourself.