[Gdal-dev] PNG Heightfield

J Douglas Gough doug at jdgis.com
Fri Mar 19 13:48:00 EST 2004

I would like to create a heightfield from an ArcInfo grid.  So far, I have successfully converted an elevation grid to a 16 bit grayscale PNG using gdal_translate.  I can see the difference in brightness correleates to height, but I'm stuck here.  I'm thinking I'll need to create a pallette and lookup table so there are 65,536 possible values.  That should give me plenty of room to account for -5000 to +5000 meters or some other range that covers the min/max elevation in meters for any given point.  Just looking for some tips or examples.

Thanks,

Doug.