[Gdal-dev] PNG Heightfield

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 22 10:56:05 EST 2004

J Douglas Gough wrote:
> I guess that question isn't really appropriate for this list.  Sorry 'bout
> that.

Doug,

Any particular reason you think your question is inappropriate for the GDAL
list?   I don't think it is quite dead-on, but it isn't unreasonable.

In theory GDAL supports large palettes (palettes larger than 256 colours)
but in practice this doesn't work with many formats, and there are few
applications that will properly take advantage of them.  So before, launching
into this approach you might want to consider other approachs such as scaling
to 8bit and then applying a color table, or using a display application that
can apply color tables to raw 16bit heightfields.

There are various kinds of color ramps used for elevation data, but I don't
have any particular sage advice on what to use.