[Gdal-dev] compiling GDAL 1.2.0 on Cygwin

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Mar 29 17:01:42 EST 2004

Richard Greenwood wrote:
> When I ./configure under Cygwin it fails with:
>    checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
>    configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
>    See `config.log' for more details.
> And the config.log says:
>    |     Syntax error
>    configure:4584: result: /lib/cpp
>    configure:4608: /lib/cpp  conftest.cc
>    ./configure: line 1: /lib/cpp: No such file or directory
>    configure:4614: $? = 127
>    configure: failed program was:
>    | /* confdefs.h.  */
>
> GDAL 1.1.9 configures successfully under this Cygwin installation.

Richard,

I think this problem is that you need to install some special additional
C++ package.  It used to be part of the gcc package but sometime in the last
year it was split into a seperate package that requires a seperate install
step.  Norman Vine turned me on to this a month or two ago.  Check in your
Cygwin setup compiler package list for something c++ish.

> And a second question - are there any guidelines for preparing a binary
> distribution of GDAL. I am asking because Markus Neteler asked me if I
> could create a 'gdal.tar.gz' to be simply unpacked from Cygwin root.

There aren't any guidelines.  GDAL will install stuff into some or all of the
following:

  prefix/bin
  prefix/shared/gdal
  prefix/lib
  prefix/include
  prefix/man
  prefix/doc

Or even more places if you get the python stuff working.  For the purposes of
use with GRASS I think you could skip the python stuff, and it is the trickiest
stuff to get working on Cygwin.