[Gdal-dev] Re: OGR C API question

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Mar 31 09:18:58 EST 2004

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

>> I'll look into that. By the way, I'm developing a GPS mapping app for
>> Qt/Embedded (on an HP iPAQ running Familiar Linux). I've got to get a
>> few basic features done in the next three weeks (it's for an
>> undergraduate engineering design project, which is due (too) soon) but
>> after that, I'm going to release it under the GPL. I plan to add
>> sqlite support to OGR, as Postgres is not really intented for embedded
>> use. It won't be ready anytime soon, but eventually I'd like to
>> contribute these improvements back to the OGR cvs tree.
>

> Cool.  I looked at sqlite a couple years ago and it looked nice, though
> it had
> (has?) no spatial support.

I actually saw a presentation on SQLite last week at the PHP Conference
in Montreal and was quite impressed. My first reaction was that we
should add support for it in OGR and could then use it to create simple
point (x,y) data sources.  SQLite offers the power of a RDBMS (with some
known limitations) for fast SQL queries in a flatfile format, and it
runs as well on Unix/Linux as on Windows so it's easy to deploy and port
apps from one system to another... that could be the solution to many of
the problems we have run into in the past storing and querying point and
attribute data in other file formats for webmapping for instance.

Anyway, please keep us posted on your progress with the SQLite driver, I
think it will be very welcome.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca