[Gdal-dev] read-only (bug?)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 11 13:32:19 EDT 2004

Maciek Sieczka wrote:
> I played with gdalwarp a little and got such a message when tried the -of BT
> and -of VRT:
>
> Creating output file is that 2646P x 1259L.
> ERROR 5: Destination band 1 appears to be read-only.
>
> seems a bug (?)

Maciek,

With BT format it is a bug, and I have committed a fix.

With VRT things are more complicated.  The VRT driver does not currently
support writing image data.  However, it is legal to create a VRT file with
the Create() method, attach it to a raster file, and set various metadata
which can be written to disk in the .vrt file.  So it supports some kinds of
update, but not others.  The currently behaviour, while confusing, seems to
appropriate.