[Gdal-dev] Re: Re: how to extract data from OGR

Jacob Bensabat jbensabat at ewre.com
Wed May 19 04:10:10 EDT 2004

Hi and thanks for your message.
I must say that I enjoy this discussion.

I understand that interfaces to OGR are created whenever there is a need to
connect a software
to OGR. The point is that when studying the code you have porvided, there is
a need to
call to many functions in order to get the information needed for
rendering/drawing, which,
if done in a context of windows drawing, may alter the efficiency of the
drawing (I have not tried but I guess).

The question is whether there should be some methods within the OGR layers
that allow fast strait access to the data (points, lines, polygons,
attributes, patterns symbols and colors) instead of recursively looping
inside each layer.
then my question is if there is a reason for not having such kind of methods
(GetData, GetColor, GetSymbol, ....)
thanks
jacob