[Gdal-dev] about grid format (write binary grid format)

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 19 12:48:10 EDT 2004

elias ruiz wrote:
> hello
> i see your webpage and i notice that you know about raster grid format
>
> i developed a tool in c that can read grid rasterfile, weel is not too
> hard, but now i'm working in a tool tha can write these raster files.
>
> on the web i've found about the header file hdr.adf. in this file, there
> are 16 bytes, that start at 272 position (search in google for "Arc/Info
> Binary Grid Format") that are somehow related about georeferencing. in
> fact, this 16 bytes are 2 values that representing a x,y position in 8
> byte double number format.
>
> at the time, i can see a rasterfile, but the data is "scroll" about 3 o
> 4 pixels.
>
> i want to know if you can help me to discover how this values are
> calculated

Elias,

I believe I ran into a similar problem as you.  The values are clearly
a georeferenced location of some kind, but I wasn't able to deduce
exactly how they related.  I would add that I tried a few times to
write Arc/Info binary grid files but I was never able to get the
georeferencing working properly with Arcview and gave up.   If you
are successful I would appreciate information to update the format
document and a chance to collaborate (ie. I would like to pick your
brain).