[Gdal-dev] GDAL 1.2.4 RC1 available for testing.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Nov 6 11:55:30 EST 2004

Alessandro Amici wrote:
> did you notice that the libtool and non-libtool build produce a different
> filename for the versioned library?
>
> --without-libtool -> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1.2.4
>
> --with-libtool -> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so.1.6.0
>
> that has already happened in previous releases, on debian i have gdal 1.2.1
> and /usr/lib/libgdal.so.1.3.0.
>
> the libtool numbers are derived from GDALmake.opt:
> LIBGDAL_CURRENT := 6
> LIBGDAL_REVISION := 0
> LIBGDAL_AGE  := 5
> which, as far i can judge, are set to correct values.
>
> what to do now?
> if i were you i would name both 1.6.0 (you certainly can't go back with
> soversioning after three releases!)

Alessandro,

My understanding is that libtool is using -soname and other mechanisms so
the versioning information serves to select alternate compatible versions
automatically, but that this isn't true of the shared libraries I create
without libtool.  So my thinking has been I might as well use an understandable
name for the non-libtool builds since it doesn't serve much other purpose.

It also makes it somewhat easier to identify which kind of builds was
used for a given GDAL build.

Do you see any compelling reason to use the same naming convention for the
.so files?

> BTW: the libtool build survived a make -j 200 ;)

Cool, I would imagine there is a law of diminishing returns on doing so
many at once though.