[Gdal-dev] gdal_merge.py hdf aster dem

Maciek Sieczka werchowyna at pf.pl
Sun Nov 14 16:03:28 EST 2004

Hi!

I have about 40 adjacent hdf Aster DEM files which I want to merge using
gdal_merge.py into one file.

Poblems are:
1 these DEMs are not taken as georeferenced and all the input files are
   being overlayed one on another in the output file which is not
   georeferenced either
2 if 20 or more files are input an error occures:

[ziutek at localhost ziutek]$ gdal_merge.py -o /home/ziutek/aster.tif -of
GTiff -n -150 /mnt/windows/gisdane/aster/dupa/*.hdf
ERROR 2: CPLMalloc(): Out of memory allocating -4 bytes.

Each file is circa 25 MB, I have 512 MB RAM, 4 GB swap and plenty of free
disc space. DEMs are in UTM and are accompanied by *.met files. OpenEV
handles their georeferencing properly but gdalinfo gives a following:

[ziutek at localhost ziutek]$ gdalinfo
/mnt/windows/gisdane/aster/xxx/ASTER_DEM20020507164545.hdf
Driver: HDF4Image/HDF4 Dataset
Size is 2602, 2513
Coordinate System is `'
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0, 2513.0)
Upper Right ( 2602.0,    0.0)
Lower Right ( 2602.0, 2513.0)
Center      ( 1301.0, 1256.5)
Band 1 Block=2602x1 Type=Float32, ColorInterp=Gray

Thanks for any suggestions.
Maciek