[Gdal-dev] Re: BuildOverviews()

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 23:05:31 EST 2004

Peng Gao wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for your help. It worked great. The overviews I created are tiled
> with block
> size 128x128.
>
> I was using GDALRasterBand::BuildOverviews() on a band and it always
> returned error. When
> do I ever need to use this call?

Peng,

It is not really possible to build overviews for only single bands in TIFF
format, so in fact the GDALRasterBand::BuildOverviews() method is pretty useless
since even for other formats the overviews are actually built as GeoTIFFs and
so must be done on the dataset as a whole.

Sorry about that.  I will add a note on the method so folks know to avoid it.