[Gdal-dev] Re: GDAL error diffusion

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 23:12:37 EST 2004

Norman Barker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using the python bindings for GDAL.  I am performing correction on
> the image, but I can't
> find any way of call an interpolation function on the image to perform
> error diffusion since
> the result has gaps. I am thinking of the way you can do bilinear
> interpolation with gdal_translate.

Norman,

gdal_translate does not perform bilinear interpolation.  Perhaps you are
thinking of gdalwarp?  This interpolation is all built into the warp api if
you find you really need it.

Note that error diffusion is a term normally used in regard to "smearing"
discretisation error when convert 24bit images to 8bit+colormaps.   I don't
think that is what you meant.

Also, neither the gdal warp bilinear interpolation nor the error diffusion
will take care of filling nodata areas if that is what you mean.  That
would require annother family of algorithm which GDAL doesn't include as a
built in.

> sorry for the repost, I found I was kicked off the list!!

Yes, the list software on the new www.remotesensing.org seems to take an
"aggressive" approach to disabling folks that appear to bounce email messages.
I get knocked off all the remotesensing.org mailing lists every week and have to
re-enable my email.  Very annoying.   Especially since this last time I didn't
seem to get the "you have been disabled" email and so missed all the traffic for
days.  I am responding tonight from the gmane news gateway archive of the list.
Quite a nice service by the way.