[Gdal-dev] Re: .tab file support for jpeg format

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 22 23:42:11 EST 2004

Sebastien Grignard wrote:
> Hello all.
> I've added support for reading georeferences from MapInfo .tab files in
> the jpeg driver.
> The code has been taken from the GeoTiff driver so it should support the
> same file parameters.
> Included is the diff against the current cvs.

Sebastien,

I tried out this code, but it doesn't handle the GCPs properly so I backed it
out.  If you want to submit this as a bug report along I might work on fixing
it up.  The full resolution would involve including the GCPs within the
JPGDataset object itself, ensuring they get initialized and cleaned up
properly, and implementing the methods to fetch them.

Of course your implementation will work fine for "north up" images with only
a modest memory leak.

I have also been kicking around the idea of a more comprehensive approach
to mapinfo .tab support where there was a .tab driver that reads the tab file
and then uses GDAL to read the subdataset instead of having to update each of
the format drivers that could have an associated .tab file. I'm not sure which
would be better.