[Gdal-dev] problem with warping lat-long to UTM

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 23 10:11:01 EST 2004

Norman Barker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using gdalwarp to warp an image in Lat Long to UTM.
>
> I am using latlong.tif from ftp.remotesensing.org/samples/pci_eg
>
> and executing the command
> gdalwarp -t_srs EPSG:32711 latlong.tif out.tif
>
> but I get the error
> ERROR 1: failed to load NAD27-83 correction file
> ERROR 1: GDALSuggestedWarpOutput() failed because the passed
> transformer failed.
>
> I have seen this discussed before, but there doesn't seem to be an answer I
> can use.

Norman,

The problem is that you need PROJ.4 datum shift files to convert the
latlong.tif NAD27 file to other datums.  To build and install PROJ.4 on
linux with the datum shift files, download and unpack the following tar file
in your proj/nad directory before doing the configure, build and install.

   ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/proj/proj-nad27-1.2.tar.gz

If you just want to experiment with warping you could also likely just override
the latlong.tif file to treat it as WGS84 instead of NAD27 using a command
like:

  gdalwarp -s_srs WGS84 -t_srs EPSG:32711 latlong.tif out.tif