[Gdal-dev] RE: Problem compiling under VS.NET

Frank Warmerdam fwarmerdam at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 12:27:10 EST 2004

Thom DeCarlo wrote:

>Hello Frank, I hope you're still on the list. ;-)
>
>This raised a couple of new questions. First, if I install the latest
>tarball of libtiff and change the appropriate section of the nmake.opt file,
>will all this compile under VS.NET?
>
>Second, where can I find the latest libtiff tarball? I went to the
>libtiff.org website and it seems to have become an advertising site. At the
>bottom of the page I found a link to the old libtiff.org webpage, but it
>doesn't have a pointer to any tarballs. It does give instructions for CVS
>access, but my company firewall does not allow CVS connections.

Thom,

The http://www.remotesensing.org/libtiff site is the primary home of
libtiff now. The www.libtiff dot org
web site was taken over by domain pirates and sold to a fellow who uses
it's positive karma to
manipulate google page ranks.

The libtiff source in CVS is still going through some revision to deal
with the new C++ stream
interface. It should (hopefully) be portable before 3.7.1 is released.

>I tried to build using last night's gdal tarball and found that I'm still
>hitting the same problem in frmts/gtiff after changing the tiffio.h to
>include iostream instead of iostream.h.
>
>    C:\SVS_DE~1\GDAL-C~3\frmts>cd gtiff   && nmake /NOLOGO /f makefile.vc
>      && cd ..
>    cl /nologo /Ox /MD /GX -I..\..\port -I..\..\ogr -I..\..\gcore -Ilibtiff
>      -Ilibgeotiff /c geotiff.cpp
>    geotiff.cpp
>    libtiff\tiffio.h(499) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'ostream'
>    libtiff\tiffio.h(500) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'istream'
>    NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
>    Stop.

I believe the above is fixed in GDAL CVS now.