[Gdal-dev] Re: Re: OGR with Geos in Windows?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 29 14:02:34 EST 2004

Rodrigo Aceves wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> You were right again!!
>
> I couldn't make a MAKEFILE because I have VC++ .NET and the generation of
> Makefiles is no longer supported, but anyway it finally compiled, OGR whit
> GEOS support, but the only operation that seems to work is Intersect. And I
> get wrong results.

Rodrigo,

Well, currently I don't really use the GEOS intersect because it is quite
expensive, and I use intersect frequently in applying spatial filters.
So that would explain why this sort-of-works when nothing else does.
Note that my internal implementation is really just an intersection of
bounding boxes.

> What I really want to use is Contains (I want to find the object that
> contains a single point). Or within which is the opposite of contains, but
> neither of them give me any result.

It would seem that you haven't defined HAVE_GEOS properly or you haven't
done a full rebuild since defining it.   You can add /DHAVE_GEOS=1 right in
the OPTFLAGS in nmake.opt to be sure.  Then do a "nmake /f makefile.vc clean"
in the root of gdal, and then a full build "nmake /f makefile.vc".

I don't have any other advice, though I think I will take a crack at building
geos support into my win32 FWTools builds.