[Gdal-dev] OGR_SQL question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 20 09:38:16 EDT 2004

Norbert Thieme wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to try out the new functions in OGR that come from GEOS and use
> that for a shapefile or a gml in Mapserver. Can anyone tell me how a sql
> string using functions like (buffer, union ..) might look like?

Norbert,

OGR SQL does not include any spatial operators. In fact, the geometry of
a feature is inaccessable from OGR SQL and is handled via different data
paths.  The OGR SQL can only get at non-spatial attributes of the features.

The GEOS capabilities are exposed via the C, C++ and Python APIs though.