[Gdal-dev] OGR: TIGER/Line polygons

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 20 17:41:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> >>warmerda at gdal2200[226]% ~/gdal/pymod/samples/tigerpoly.py . poly.shp

> You ended up with all the roads, rivers and lakes as just line features,
> not polygons?  That would be really weird.  Of course, the resulting polygons
> are going to have all the roads, rivers and lakes as their borders.  It is a
> topological coverage for the area in questions.

  > shpinfo poly
  Info for poly
  Polygon(5), 12155 Records in file
  File Bounds: (              0,              0)
          (    -120.906211,      48.299232)

I end up with a LOT of polygons.  Upon drawing that shapefile
polygon file to my display it looks very similar to what it would
look like if I had drawn all of the individual line features from
multiple layers of the original raw tiger file.  So far I'm no
closer to getting a Shapefile with just the lake polygons in it.
I'll keep studying the TIGER docs and the Python script and will
learn more about it.